Monday, March 18, 2013

How often should you eat?


Skipping meals might sound like an easy way to lose weight. But it rarely works because your body outsmarts your plan. ~ Linda Spangle 100 Days to Weight Loss

Source

I don't know how many times I tried starving myself to lose weight just to find out it backfired. The way it usually worked was I would skip breakfast and lunch and find myself starving at dinner and I would eat none stop junk for the rest of the night.

Not only did I consume more calories than if I would have eaten my breakfast and lunch it was all useless calories.
Source

Linda Spangle in this chapter teaches how important it is to eat frequently small meals and I 100% agree with her. I know #Nutrisystem teaches this too and as you know that is the tool I used to lose weight. I try to eat every 3 hours and everything I eat has nutrients, vitamins and great source of fiber nothing like the crap I use to eat. I apologize to my body often how I use to treat it. God gave me a perfect tool to live on this earth for however long that might be and I took advantage of that gift. NOT ANY MORE!

Its been 4 ½ years since I ate that way, and I love my life now. Eating such good food on a daily basis makes me feel good mentally and physically.

“Whenever you go long periods without fuel, your body protects itself by hoarding some of the calories for later use.”

“When you undereat during the day, your body believes it may not get enough food, so it conserves what does come in.”

Source
If you think your doing yourself justice by starving your body and eating a larger meal at night, your wrong. Linda insists our bodies will store those calories that we then do eat rather than burn them. I am not a scientist, but I do believe in what she is saying.

Eating a little bit every 3 to 4 hours is easy, once you get use to it you develop a pattern. You can do this, give yourself the love that you deserve and take care of your body while you have it.   


Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2013.

4 comments:

  1. I learned this the hard way. Not to skip meals and to eat snacks inbetween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheri! I appreciate what you're saying because I have a bunch of friends who eat like you do. However, I've done better with intermittent fasting which is actually the opposite of eating very small meals interspersed throughout the day. It involves eating all of your food in a smaller time window. I typically eat all of my food in between 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., which makes my calories into bigger meals, which is satisfying for me. And I lost weight when I started eating like this. And I rarely feel hungry anymore.

    I understand why your method is satisfying for you too. You laid out the benefits of small meals very nicely. I guess that there are different personality types at work here. I'd rather not eat during mornings and evenings to get some condensed eating in each day, while that was rather awful for you when you tried it.

    There is research that goes both ways. There brand new research out in December 2012 that shows that college athletes (guys) who were forced to eat breakfast, when they weren't eating it previously, lost a considerable amount of lean muscle mass from the eating change--which appeared due to being required to eat breakfast. This greatly surprised the researcher, since he was advocating that all athletes should eat breakfast. The link for that research is: https://mospace.umsystem.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10355/33027/research.pdf?sequence=2 .

    The bottom line: Experiment with both ways and do what works best for *you.*

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I am a mini meal eater! I used to not be & it has made a HUGE difference!!! I love knowing I can eat every 2-3 hours depending on the day. Non exercise days are a bit different. :) I also listen to my bod so sometimes it is less often or more frequent but it all ends up the same in food since I just break up a mini meal if I need something sooner.

    I do believe though that this is not for everyone. Some people can end up overeating if they are not trackers or do not pat attention AND some just prefer a different way. As long as it works for them, I am fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I skipped a meal, I would eat nothing in a day, lol!

    I eat warrior style IF.

    I think we can adapt to most any style we want to. Although, from what I've read, IF does not work as well for women.

    The biggest problem with multiple meals is that it it makes it harder to stay within a calorie range because each meal can add to the error.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!