Monday, January 7, 2013

Motivation Mondays - Debunking My Cravings



I finished my "Made to Crave" book and really enjoyed it.  Now I am on to an oldie, but goodie.

I am always challenging myself to figure out why I do what I do regarding food I have been haunted by this strange connection since childhood.  

Weight Loss Cafe
A lot of books say there's a "deep seeded" reason as to why we do the things we do. Is that true? I don't know, but I am going to really try to figure it out because the cravings, obsessions and countless guilting myself is enough to drive me nuts at times.

I asked my Dad the other day at breakfast together why do I have this obsession with food?  He thought it could be a chemical imbalance.  Hard to say, but he told me that I would cry for his food when I was a child.  Of course now that sounds funny, but it really isn't.  

My parents took good care of me and my brother and always had food on the table.  We didn't go without I tell ya!  So why did I cry for my Dad's food?  Why did I use to say to him "Dad don't eat lots!"  Poor man! Could never eat his food in peace with me around.  I didn't have to worry about my Mom or brother they didn't eat as much as me or Dad.  To be truthful, I never gave it much thought until writing it down here.  Weird.

Like I said this has always been an issue with me one I never could get my hands around.  

I bought a book when I lost my weight back in 12/08 called 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle. Its a great book! Linda is a weight loss coach and a registered Nurse.  She has a lot of good points and thoughts to help the mental aspects of weight loss.

She is very good with Day 1 through 100 with giving advise and trying to make you think about new things. This is one of the things I am going to challenge myself on to read all 100 days! I have never made it to the end because that is what I do lose focus and forget about it.

I refuse to give up or lose focus on my maintenance, refuse it! However, I know there has to be a easier way to live than to mentally stress so much about food every single day.

Part of my goal is to write about each “Day” I read and post it here.  Can't guarantee you see all of them, but I do have intentions on sharing some.  Hope you join along and can glean something from it too!  



Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2012-2013.

3 comments:

  1. Very good, but true. We all fight our cravings for something we shouldn't have! Love ya sissey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are here to support you Sheri! I have a "honest post" coming up in the future - not sure when... I do focus on food more than people know but I have found a way that works for me.. you will find you way. PLS don't give up! I know you will not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think cravings are habits. Break the habit, retrain the brain, break the craving.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!