Monday, December 31, 2012

Made To Crave - Fair or Not?

Source
One of my biggest problems I have are my cravings. Once I start thinking about a certain food like a brownie, its like a snowball effect. It keeps processing and processing in my brain until its so big I can't control it any longer. Then I will go and reach for something I don't even want because there is no chocolate brownie around and I will eat it.

Most of the time whatever I eat isn't enough, so then I begin to binge eat. Its not a pretty sight and if you are a binge eater you know exactly what I am talking about.

Well one of the things I am always doing is trying to find answers. Why do I do this? Why is this maintenance thing so hard some times?

Someone long ago gave me a heads up on a book called “Made to Crave” by Lysa Terkeurst. I forgot I had this in my arsenal of Kindle books until a week ago when I saw it. When I started reading it, I did not expect to get what I got and that was God.

The first chapter blew my mind away! I never in my wildest dreams thought God put cravings into us. I mean what a mean idea that was right? Well what Lysa explains is it was meant for HIM not food or worldly possessions. She puts scriptures to everything she says, so its not just her opinions. Trust me I would never read a book with someone pointing a finger to God and doesn't have scripture to back it up.

I am not going to reiterate what Lysa puts into fluent words already in her book, so you'll have to trust me when I say its definitely worth the reading!

However, I will leave you with this usurp of her book:

Source
Think of Eve and one of the first interactions recorded in the Bible between a woman and food. Obviously, the core of Eve’s temptation was she wanted to be like God, knowing good and evil. But we can’t ignore the fact that the serpent used food as a tool in the process.”

TerKeurst, Lysa (2010-12-07). Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food (pp. 16-17). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.

She speaks so many truths throughout the book that I could highlight the entire book! GAH! I want to soak up everything she speaks of because its so true. One of the things she brought out was how did Jesus fight satan while on earth when satan was bombarding Him with temptation while He was in the wilderness? Jesus always quoted scriptures “truth” Gods word and to finally shut satan up!! That is exactly what I need to do when the cravings start, so I have picked out a set of scriptures for my arsenal ready to battle. I must say its so refreshing to count on God and not myself!!!

I love my iPhone for things like this, I have copied my scriptures into the Notebook app, so every time I am craving or starting to think about sugary foods I can get my scripture out and read it out loud or internally over and over again.

I challenge you to do the same thing.   


Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2012, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!