Monday, April 9, 2012

Back To Basics

Over the last 1 ½ years I stopped logging what I ate. After Nutrisystem I logged my food every day for 2 years to help me learn how to maintain my 52 pound weight loss. I can't say for sure why I stopped except that I felt confident I wouldn't gain my weight back.


source
Well over this time since I stopped logging what I ate, I have gained 16 pounds back and that scared me to death because I was eating healthy foods! So many articles out there that I read where counting calories is unnecessary all you need to do is exclude sugars from your diet. I disagree! I am proof of it.


I focus on eating vegetables, little fruit, oats, protein (nuts, seeds, legumes, animal meat) very little refined carbohydrates and still gained this weight. Why??  Because I was eating too much of it! Well you ask how do you know? Because I gained weight and then decided to start tracking what I ate and found I was eating way over my maintenance calories.


I could have easily thrown in the towel and gave up, but there was no way I am going to give up!  So about 4 weeks ago I started logging my food again eating 1200-1500 calories a day.  Continued to exercise 5 hours a week (oh yeah forgot to add that above I was exercising 5 hours a week and still gained).

I think its important to read and research all of the health articles out there, but always keep in your mind that old rule “if you eat more than you burn you will gain weight!” because it is true!  I have lost 7 pounds in the 4 weeks I have been counting my calories and still eating the same foods that I ate before I started.

Some people can eat the right foods and they can keep to small portions and lose or maintain their body weight.  For me, I need to know how much I am eating or I will over eat because I am addicted to food.  Always have been, always will have that curse so for me this works.

If your struggling with your weight whether its maintenance or losing weight, start tracking your calories you are eating.  I will bet you see a difference in the scale fairly quickly. ;)

By the way, I switched from logging my food from Livestrong to My Fitness Pal it is awesome! You can scan barcodes on the packages you eat and the calories and servings go write into your diary for the day.  Plus some of my old Nutrisystem friends are there cheering me on, so cool!!


Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!