Monday, January 30, 2012

You Don't Have To Eat Everything On Your Plate

Picture Credit

Since changing my eating on 12/10/2011 to not eating processed foods, aspartame, splenda etc, I came to a new realization on one Wednesday night while my husband and I were eating out at Bob Evans. That was you don't have to eat everything on your plate! BINGO! How is it that just dawned on me??

Because I made a change in what I was putting into my body, it made me think first before eating.  I am pretty sure this was the first time in my life that I can remember,  I did not eat any carbohydrate with my meal at a restaurant. I bought the vegetable omelet for 312 calories and the cup of vegetable beef soup for 127 calories.

There were 2 pieces of dry wheat toast on the side and there were potatoes in my soup. I picked out every potato there was in that soup and laid in on the side of the plate. I put the toast out of reach just to help me while I ate my omelet. I love having my toast with my omelet, but now I know I don't have to have it to enjoy what I am eating.

When I was done, I felt empowered. I felt like I know I can do this I do not need carbohydrates (sugar) with every meal. My diabetes will be fine without it meaning I shouldn't have any hypoglycemic drops in blood sugar.  Also, I didn't have to use any insulin, which has all kinds of benefits!

Next time your about to eat something that you know deep down you really do not need or gives you any nutritional benefit stop and take a deep breath and then remove it from your plate or walk away.

The benefits are huge! It gave me confidence, it made me stronger in my will to accomplish this new change and it will help me next time.

Lets take one meal at a time and set your sights on your goal. It is doable!


Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2012.

17 comments:

  1. As I've got older I've got better at making food choices. I have a healthy appetite and sometimes fill my plate over ambitiously and find I can't eat it all! In the past I would finish my plate even when already full! Now I am more able to stop when my body tells me its had enough! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree more, having control is wonderful. I can now ignore the fresh bread on the table, snacks laid out at friends home, making the right choices. I love how powerful I feel, no longer does food have power of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right that one don't need to eat everything on your plate. I too have realized this yesterday when my parents spoiled us at a restaurant. I too did not eat everything on my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news Paul! I think once we make that connection and we listen to it is a good start to controlling our weight (even though you are good there no problem in that department) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!! I am sure it was hard for them, but you were strong and did the right thing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heave learned to send back the entree if they forget I ordered it without sauce/cheese/potato. I have learned to so no to the dessert menu. I have learned to pass on the bread basket (most of the time). When I need to, I remove items from my plate myself. I always feel more confident afterwards now. In the past I would lament and resent and that often infringed on the enjoyment of the meal for others. I am nicer to eat with now. :-) 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to this. This is such an easy way to cut calories in an almost painless way. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES SHERI! Good for you & great post! So many of us learned growing up that we had to clean our plate. Not the best advice but that was the way it was. So glad you are IN CONTROL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since beginning my current eating plan on the day after Thanksgiving, I have learned this very same lesson.  Once the sugar cravings were out of my system, I discovered the sheer joy of eating without worrying  about the breads or desserts.  I no longer want them!  Now there's a sense of freedom I' don't think I've ever experienced.  No need to tell the server to take away the bread basket or not to bring the dessert menu.  Let the others have it.  I don't want it! 

    But one also never, ever, EVER becomes complacent as I also well know that one bite, one lick, one taste or possibly one scent can derail months and even years of freedom from these things.  I pray every day for strength and courage to keep it up cause I sure don't want to trade this sense of freedom for the bondage that came with being addicted to all those food substances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have sometimes carefully divided a restaurant meal so that I'd not overeat and have enough for a second serving, leftover.  My mom taught me a trick of sprinkling salt on the part of your meal that you don't want to eat if it's sitting there and you are tempted to nibble. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. True, so true. Having been a member of the "clean plate club" for most of my life, it is indeed hard to leave food behind but I can do it. My daughter always leaves something on her plate even if it is just a bite of food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is great news Jane!! Once we understand its easier to make the right decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! So good to finally have found the niche!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sharon this is great news! You are right, all it takes is one little taste and it can release the avalanche in our minds. So nice not to binge eat anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's genius Karen! Yuk putting salt on wheat toast would make it easier for sure not to eat! Great advise your Mom had!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We can learn from children I hope your daughter keeps it up!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!