Monday, January 9, 2012

Learn Who You Are


What do I mean by that do you think? Well exactly what I ask “learn who you are!” How does your body respond to lean meats or no meats, low-fat or higher-fat, low-carbs or higher-carbs? I have really grown over the last 3 ½ years of maintenance. I was terrified to gain my weight back after losing and getting to goal because I knew I would be on my own eating my own foods.

The first thing I did was sign up at Livestrong.com My Daily Plate as a gold member and logged what I ate every day for 2 years. I needed to learn what I was eating and keeping my calorie count at a certain peak.

Now I no longer count my calories and eat all natural foods. It feels so good to know that I eat healthy foods every day! My body has responded so well by eating this way, I only missed 3 days of work last year due to sickness, which for me is a miracle in itself!

Give your body a break from high calories foods that are processed. I can't say I will never eat at McDonald's again, but I can say it will be a long long time before I do.

How much do you care for your body? Do you think about it much? Most people do not think about it until its too late and the doctor tells them they have Diabetes or Cancer. Sometimes that isn't enough for people to make a change in their eating and that is so sad. We are under a false reality because we give up our lives to eat what we think is good food.

I ate 2 awesome meals today and in the old days I would have scoffed at them, here is what they were. At lunch I had the following:

Spinach leaf lettuce
Kalamata Olives
Gorgonzola Cheese
Chicken Breasts (3oz)
Low Fat Dressing
Raw Almonds

Dinner:

½ Butterfly Porkchop
Eggplant
Broccoli
Sweet potato with cinnamon and salt

I loved what I ate!! So much I started thinking I ate too much or something has to be wrong for me to love what I am eating. I should be proud of my choices and I am!

What have you eaten lately that made your mouth drool and you feel very satisfied afterwords? Was it healthy or not?

Source: 1

Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2012.

13 comments:

  1. Good post. What might work for one person does not necessarily have to work for another. 
    As for McDonald's, I know for sure I won't ever be eating there again for many, many reasons. Haven't in six years and don't miss it one bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate a great pasta, spinach, feta and tomato salad the other night. I did love it and I didn't feel guilty about eating it like I would have a bag of M&M's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so important to learn about yourself & what your bod does & does not respond to both with food & exercise. I have a lot of years of that - 30+ and honestly, things change over time so it is good to be in tune with your bod so you know when things need to be changed up... life, jobs, stress 7 AGE will effect the bod.

    Great post Sheri! I so understand & you are really doing so amazingly well!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent!!!


    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you as always Jody!!!! I feel as if I have to change it up continually.

    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have really done a great job, Sheri, and you have every right to be proud!

    Always eat healthy here :-)

    Dr. J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Dr. J! Coming from you that makes me feel really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree more with you. It's so important to really get in touch with your body, to know what's normal and not normal, to be able to sense when something is out of whack or going along just right...especially after taking the time to achieve some level of health. 

    I'd say I eat very healthy almost all of the time...mostly vegan/vegetarian, whole foods, very little processed stuff and my body craves it now. If and when I get off track (3 weeks in Tahoe for my wedding, Christmas, New Years I "let my hair down") it usually doesn't take long for me to really feel it and WANT to get back on track...and to 'detox'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't agree more! When I mess up just one day, I am ready to get back to eating healthy. I don't like how I feel when I eat poorly anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Sheri! Certain carbs, and the amount, seem to make my joints a little bit stiffer. I can tell what I ate the night before during yoga stretching. If I ate too much carbs the night before, certain poses suffer. So that is not satisfying to eat those foods. :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marion! Too much sugar is bad for anyone even if it's controlled. There is just no added benefit unless it's whole grain or whole oats, but even that should be limited.

    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is also something you can say regarding fitness. You need to learn what is good for your body and what works with it regarding fitness.
    Love the post. You are eating so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! We need to grow in our fitness as well, so important!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!