Monday, January 2, 2012

A Food That Might Help Neuropathy

Source
 See if you can guess which food I am talking about.
  1. What lowers your blood pressure?
  2. What can lower the "bad" cholesterol over time?
  3. What can improve your mood and outlook?
  4. What can possibly help cancer, stroke, heart disease and neurological disorders?
....I will tell you what I have heard "dark chocolate"!

Yes, that is right I said dark chocolate.  I have been eating dark chocolate every day since giving up the simple starch foods, white flour and aspartame products from my diet on December 10th, 2011.  The first thing I noticed was my feet were quieter.  Do you know what it feels like to have a neuropathy foot??  Its horrible!

There's vibrations, shocks, skin scraping feelings, extreme temperature changes, cramps, pins and needles every single day and gets worse in the evenings closer to bed time.

Since I have been eating dark chocolate (65% cocoa and higher), they have been some what quieter.  I am still suffering from it, but I will take whatever reprieve I can get!

I started researching dark chocolate and have found many articles backing up my thoughts.  One really stands out to me and I wanted to share it with you.

Chocolate As A Health Food
For many of us, life without chocolate would be drab and desolate. Good news: recent research has shown that chocolate is good for you and can actually extend your life! That means that I will probably live to be 120. 
A little more information is needed to maximize the health effects of chocolate. As in all things, all chocolate is not alike. The primary contributor to the positive impact of chocolate is an obscure thing called flavonoids. Flavonoids are found in many berries, red wine and green tea. So I may live to be 130, between the chocolate and the red wine. 
Flavonoids are antioxidants. That means that they inhibit the oxidation of other molecules. That is a good thing, because oxidation releases free radicals that cause damage to our cells. This damage is associated with aging (boo!) and in more extreme cases, cancer, stroke, heart disease and neurological disorders. 
To get the most out of your daily chocolate, choose chocolate that is rich in flavonoids. That means dark chocolate. Milk chocolate only has about 25% of the flavonoids of dark chocolate, and white chocolate has no flavonoids at all. 
The best yard stick for flavonoid content is the percentage of cocoa in the chocolate. Shoot for 70% cocoa, at least. You get a nice taste and plenty of wonderful flavonoids in every bite. Be aware that very high levels of cocoa can taste bitter or dusty to some people, so sample before you make a large purchase. Sample anyway, it's just a sensible thing to do! 
A German research study found that people with high blood pressure saw an appreciable drop in their blood pressure if they had a daily serving of chocolate. A follow-on study in the H.S. found that the drop in blood pressure was accompanied by a 10% drop in low density lipoprotein, the "bad" cholesterol. Several studies have also tied chocolate consumption with improved mood and mental outlook. Really sorry I missed out on that study! 
Chocolate is a wonder drug. It improves your blood pressure and cholesterol readings. It improves your mood and feeling of well being. It slows aging and fights many diseases.  
Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2012.

13 comments:

  1. I am in! ;-) Yes, so much great info out there about the darker choc with higher %  cocoa. I am so glad your feet are better! Great way to start 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yes I love the darker chocolate and have also found after I eat it no cravings for more. At least majority of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!  I like the "milk" kind better so maybe could eat the dark stuff with moderation:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately the milk chocolate isn't good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the dark chocolate, red wine and of course regular exercise. Blogging to 120? There's a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that is a stretch ha? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually have some baking cocoa every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It took me a while to like the dark. The study I read had 72 percent as the minimum percent for effectiveness in health improvement. Now the milk tastes too sweet. Good thing and great article!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Diane! I haven't gotten use to the 72% yet, right now I am sticking with 62% the most. I'll eventually get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your insights in to fitness. I enjoy following your blog. there is an award for you at my blog - http://glossaryking.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-got-award.html"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Paul for thinking of me! I will go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES! I love dark chocolate. Love it. Green and Blacks by far is my favorite. One square a day keeps the crazy away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought that kind too the 82% cacoa I need less crazy's!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!