Monday, December 19, 2011

Setting Standards for Others

This year, I want to try something different. I want to bring fitness back to life in December and start preparing some pre-resolutions. Consider it a test for the real thing in January. I want you to increase your activity, focus on your diet, and still enjoy the holidays, all while finding time for your health. It’s time to raise the bar. After all, recent research shows that by the year 2020, it’s estimated that 83 percent of men and 72 percent of women will be either overweight or obese. Translation: We need to fight for our health and set a standard for others to follow. ~ A. Bornstein Livestrong.com

Do you think this is possible? I mean can I help you set a standard for you to live by regarding your own health? I don't think so and here's why.

I knew many people growing up and also in my family who took care of their health one being my Dad and two my husband and that wasn't enough to inspire me. I wanted to be more like them to want to take care of my body and to be in shape, but it wasn't enough. I will tell you what did inspire me and that was losing bits and pieces of my life slowly.

My story if you've read it shows how much pain I lived in for a long period of time. The only thing I had to look forward to is death. That is horrible to say, but its true.

I have pulled myself out of this health crisis by making changes to my eating, fitness, attitude and outlook on life.

I love the fact I can do whatever I want because I am healthy! I can run, I can go to the trails with my hubby and walk, walk, walk in God's beautiful country. I can even go skiing if I wanted too, but I won't I am way to accident prone. The point is I am no longer limited because I am healthy and fit! What a wonderful feeling! Oh how I wish I could make you understand it so you could be inspired to do the same thing.

You have to want it bad enough to make it. Only YOU have control over your weight loss and if you don't need to lose weight, but perhaps eat unhealthy you need to change how you treat your body. It doesn't matter how much I write to help inspire you to get healthy, its totally up to you.


 Source: 1

Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! Where did you read that research? Sounds bleak!
    No one can ge us going in the right direction but ourselves! I wish that were not the case because there are so many loved ones I want to shake!!

    Smoking, drinking, obesity..... :::::::sigh:::::::

    All I can do is hope my lifestyle change will make them change their unhealthy habits

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing more to say - you said it all... it is HARD work but so worth it!!!! BUT, the person has to want it themselves enough to do it. Baby steps are fine - that is the way to learn. Great post Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That came from an article on Livesteong.com.


    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jody!!!!


    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, for me, I think it was poor examples that encouraged me more than good examples! Why would I want to be like them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is all about shifting from a "have to" to a "want to"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right Jennifer!!!!


    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! You have to OWN your goals. Make them YOURS and then keep your eyes on the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen!!


    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have a blessed Christmas, Sheri. :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Marion!! You too!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!