Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Doom


All my life I heard the worst time to diet is during the holidays. Have you ever thought of this and asked yourself, why?

This year I did because so many people I know that really work on their weight, health and staying fit say it. I ponder this question because truthfully it doesn't bother me never has really.

Let me explain. Before I made the decision to lose weight for good to get healthy and fight my diabetes I ate all the time. Holidays were no different except I had holiday food surrounding me at my Mom's and just like any other time I ate it without thinking.

When I found out I was diabetic I lost 13 pounds through the holidays and my doctor at the time couldn't believe it. He said to me “this is amazing that you lost weight during the holidays usually people gain”.

So the mentality is when a holiday comes around and your own doctor expects you to gain weight its okay? No it isn't! Why would you do this to yourself? Yes, holidays are special, but its not because of the food. Its because of being with family. Change your thinking before regrets pop in your head after the holidays because you gained 7 pounds and now your discouraged. How is this worth it? How can you say that is what you wanted out of your holiday? I am sure it isn't, but you knew that going in to it because you knew it was the “acceptable” thing to do.

Remember a holiday is 1 day! Thanksgiving is over you had your time eating delicious turkey, stuffing and homemade deserts. If you had any left over, you should have thrown it out. Why put the heavy calories in your body another day or another after that?? Don't treat your body like a trash can because you only get 1 in this lifetime. Treat it nicely.

Christmas is coming just remember its 1 day, not the whole month of December! If you have parties you go too, then eat before you go and don't worry about what the person holding the party will say to you when you turn their cake and cookies down. Its YOUR body no one else has to bear the burden of it whether you take care of your body and eat right most of the time, overweight or have a chronic health condition. Don't sacrifice yourself for someone else's expectations.

What about you? How are you handling the holiday is it 1 day or all month?

 Picture sources: 2 1
      
Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

16 comments:

  1. I think holidays are difficult with all the temptations and being out of routine. I like my food and can get away with it thankfully because I aim to bike and run 2 hours a day. People need to make positive choices and as you say there is no obligation to buy into others' weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. My first holiday season that I had to get through without gaining, was last year's December. I must agree with you that if your head is in the right space, you will lose weight instead of gaining it, no matter what time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheri! I always need this reminder--so thanks very much! :D

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to think of holidays as just another day to cook or eat. That way I don't place too much importance on them. I also try to focus on all the things that have nothing to do with food! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, when I was younger, holidays were about eating & eating! When I hot my health stride, I just got into the habit of eating the same way all year round & for the holiday gatherings, I PLAN for a treat or 2 that I really want, a 10 out of 10. Regular food, I just prefer to eat my healthy stuff. I don't go beyond that & make any of this season an October thru December - NOPE - I would feel like crap & be 5-7 pounds heavier. Not worth my health or all my hard work all year round.

    Good for you Sheri! You have got it right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's one life for me! I stay consistent with eating smart and exercising and just keep on keeping on. I consider it normal. I try to do it as grandma did :-) On a holiday, if I want I can indulge and just compensate for it afterwords. Too many people when it comes to eating are in the keep on keeping on mode.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keepingthepoundsoff JaneDecember 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM

    I like your statement "Don't sacrifice yourself for someone else's expectations."

    I do not diet over the holidays. I have a food plan. It is something to take me through the rest of my life if I let it.

    Thank you for the reminder.

    Jane~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its tough to stick to a plan 100%, but having a plan is better than not having one. Keep up the great work Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome that you are so stable in your eating and exercising. I would have to say that I am about 85% stable the other 15% I still have issues binging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your plan for treats! I think its wonderful that you can stick to it for this length of time. Your awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is exceptional Paul! 2 hours a day is a wonderful fitness regimen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are certain holiday treats I look forward to, since I only get to indulge once per year, like my husband's sweet potatoe pie. I don't think about weight gain. I just keep my normal fitness plan and scale back on my normal indulgences so I can eat the pie slices instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are certain holiday treats I look forward to, since I only get to indulge once per year, like my husband's sweet potatoe pie. I don't think about weight gain. I just keep my normal fitness plan and scale back on my normal indulgences so I can eat the pie slices instead.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!