Monday, December 26, 2011

Do You Belong To A Gym?


Do you belong to a gym?  I know a lot of folks who are and some are dedicated in going regularly.



As you know I fell back in October running on the sidewalk on my Florida vacation and I was scraped up pretty badly. My knee was extremely painful and swollen most days, and I went to the doctors after 2 ½ weeks of not running or any exercise. He diagnosed it a very badly bruised knee cap, which was causing a lot of swelling around the tendons around the cap. He said it would take 8 weeks for healing, I was not happy about this news, so I told him “I will only wait 8 weeks if it still hurts”. He grinned at me and told me to start walking slowly at my 3 week mark and then increase the speed at the 4 week mark. From there it is up to me what I think I can do.



Well, I decided it was time to run again. My knee felt good, but my knee muscles and right leg were weaker, so I had to play it smart. I chose to start going to the gym and only run on the treadmill for a while. I am not so confident running anymore outside, but I sure wish I could. I love the fresh air and the sunshine when it is out.



The gym I go to has on the first floor in one section the machines and racket ball courts, in the very back there is the weight lifting area. Then on the second level overlooking both environments are the cardio machines (elliptical, treadmill and cycles).

Me after running on treadmill


What I started noticing while running and watching people is so many of them just sit on the equipment. That's right I said sit. They are like on a break or something and they haven't even started sweating yet. However, when you look back to where the men and women are that are “lifting weights” the what I like to call “muscle head” area there is no resting! These people mean business. They are there for a reason they have a purpose. I am the same way, you won't see me sitting on a machine and scanning my phone or watching others. You will find me running upstairs sweating profusciously with a red face concentrating on my run, staying focused.



I think I am writing about this because it bothers me to see people not having a purpose. Granted I am glad these people are there that means they are making an effort to get in shape, but sitting and not sweating isn't going to get you closer to your goal. Have a purpose when you workout whether its at home or gym. You will find that having a purpose and focusing on your workout rather than being distracted you will have much better results.



Have you ever noticed this while at the gym?




Source: 1
Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

16 comments:

  1. Sheri - I hope all of you gets better soon! I know you love running outside!

    On the weights - some people just don't get it & rest way longer than they need to depending on how much weight they lift. There are people that want to lift super heavy & part of a routine like that is to rest 2-5 minutes (per them) in between sets & depending on how much they lift. If they are doing that - move from the equipment & let people work in.If a person is just lifting in a "regular" way, rest can be anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes. Me, I am a circuit type person so I keep moving. Even my heavier lifts (for me), I move to a different body part with little rest in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the people that inspired this post were more like 10 minutes. Gazers.... ;)

    Thanks, I am all better! I just don't run outside anymore too clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri - Took your advice and ran (slowly, but ran) instead of walking on the treadmill and rowed like crazy.  Just the thing I needed to hear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Lesley!!! Just be careful not to overdue to fast.


    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped paying attention to what people are doing unless I see someone with amazing form - then I want to learn. When I go to the gym it is all about me, sorry not just me, it is about ME, so some years ago I conditioned myself not to lose my focus and allow myself to get agitated by sitters, cell phone huggers - the list can go on. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Sheri!

    Not at my fitness center! Although we have all kinds of folks here, most are serious exercisers! Maybe they are saving the machine for their next interval!

    My general rule is people look like what they do. If they look fit but are sitting around, I figure they earned it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't gymmed much, but the last time I was there, this chick had a magazine propped on the treadmill. Emmm, I don't get that. I wouldn've sweat all over that dang thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea! I usually don't get distracted by them I just wished they put the effort in that they should.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I can barely stay balanced while running on the treadmill. I can't imagine trying to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only gyms I use are hotel gyms, and most people I see there are getting in a quick workout and not messing around. I do wonder about the people who can read while they do cardio though.  Bummer on the knee! I bruised my kneecap a few years ago when I fell ice skating and it took an MRI to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! That must have been a bad fall! I'm fine now thankfully. Do you run outside all year? I miss it.

    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't belong to a gym so can't relate to this part, but I can certainly wonder why they sit? Are they resting?? I do notice when people are "walking" for exercise in my neighborhood that they are really strolling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes the ones I see just sit and text or look on their phones or stare off in la la land. I was just shocked on a few.

    At least the walkers are walking! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you if you are not sweating you are not doing yourself any real physical good. Thanks for your comments on my blogs. Have a wonderful New Year's Eve and a healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No thank you Paul for doing the same! Its been a great year and I am ready for even a better one in 2012!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!