Monday, December 12, 2011

Changing Yet Again

Seeking a Healthy Lifestyle
I've learned so much the last 6 months being on Group. I know I have mentioned this to you before that I joined this ladies online Group and the leader has been in the business of Trainer for over 30 years.

Her name is Marcelle she had a time where she had struggled with her weight.  One day she found out from her doctor that she has MS (Muscular Sclerosis). Marcelle decided it was time to make a change in her life for her health, her future, her family and most importantly for herself.

Marcelle not only lost her weight she kept going investing time and research in learning what is best for her health as a person with MS. On Group she shares what she learns and how she is doing each step of the way. Back before Thanksgiving she started the 17 Day Diet (I had joined her) to get into control before her trip back home to Cape Town, SA.

Usually after we finish the 17 Day Diet, we fall back into our normal eating ways of maintenance. This time Marcelle decided she wasn't going to go back to her relaxed eating pattern of a treat once a week. She was going to continue not to eat carbohydrates like pasta, breads, rice and sweets. As of to date she has gone 40 days without them and she feels great! YAY Marcelle!!!

Obviously she's inspired me enough that I am blogging about her. She has inspired me so much to the point that I want to do the same. I have been struggling terribly on the weekends binging on crap food like pretzels, popcorn or chocolate. Let me just say this, I do NOT eat poorly I still am maintaining my weight just fine. I just feel terrible when I eat this way not only because its so bad for my diabetes, but because it makes me feel so bad mentally and physically.

So why do I do it? If I had the answer I'd be rich right?  I have no answer except I just do and its time to make the change. As of today, December 10, 2011 I am going to no longer eat the bread, the pasta, rice or any external sugar that is not natural.  I will eat sweet potatoes and whole grains.

I am no longer going to put Splenda in my foods, I will use natural products. For example, I have been making whole grain oats for breakfast and adding 1 TB of Organic Peanut Butter with a little Vitamin D Milk sprinkled in it. If I add Splenda or eat anything with it, I get the desire to eat and eat like crazy. From what I have read I am addicted to sugar, no doubt in my mind. Check out this video.


Yes its going to be hard, yes I am going to be sad not to eat my Vitatops every day. I have given up so much the last 3 ½ years, but to be honest I do feel its time to finish it. I no longer want to binge, I no longer want to have these terrible desires to eat these sugary foods frankly I am tired of thinking "what am I going to eat" when I get home from work or when I am sitting at home on the weekend.

So, wish me luck I have the best support Group thanks to Marcelle starting Seeking the Healthy Lifestyle and the wonderful ladies on it supporting one another.



Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

21 comments:

  1. Sheri,
    I you. 
    I know you like the vitatops. We have discussed them before. I believe you are making a very vital change that will give you the peace of mind and results you want to keep those desires for the wrong foods quiet. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my friend and that is why I am doing it although its been very hard to not have it.  I know this is for the best.  <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally satay away from Splenda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its been a long, long time battling with myself on this decision. I have trained myself over the course of my years on maintenance to say okay to all the "sugar free" stuff. Now it will be an adjustment to eliminate from my diet, but I do think it is time.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. so nice to read this about our Marcelle... love it and as you know she inspires me as well... you can do this my friend!!!
    hugs... Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Susanne!


    ~Sheri
    •iPhone•

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the only way to truly get rid of the cravings, especially for us craving-stubborn people, is to quit eating those types of refined food.  If you find that popcorn is yummy, and other simple snacks like that, you'll be okay. But you have to have snacks you truly enjoy. If I was as strong and motivated as you, I'd do the same thing.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Marion you are very strong! I cannot say I will never eat a pretzel again, but my goal is to not. I don't know what I want to eat anymore, I just want the cravings to stop.

    ~Sheri
    Motivation for Health and Fitness! www.TheMotivationalGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheri you are so right Marcelle has been a great motivation in all of our lives.....reading your blog I can so relate, I do exactly the same thing, 80% of the time I eat very healthy but do not let me have one, biscuit, peice of chocolate etc, it is never enough I need to have more and before I look again,it is a whole packet of biscuits or a whole bar of chocolate.....then I go through the guilt of why, etc etc....so I am also looking to get rid of these once and for all.....good luck I know you are going to kick this habit..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just like you, I find Marcelle as a huge inspirational as well. She is the one who helped me in losing the weight and now inspiring me to be different in challenging myself every day. She is the best. 
    I too find group is helping me so much. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the best for making right food choices. It is only natural to want to eat things that are bad for us from time to time but if there is a will there is a way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vivien! You can relate! That is me! I don't know if its a true realization to give "all" things up, but I got to try something. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your a wonderful example as well! I think we have a wonderful Group of ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Paul! If I could only pick and choose the time, rather than over and over again eating it all at once! Its like a snow ball rolling down the hill and then it crashes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheri - you have done so great & would be nice to figure out why you do these weekend binges - something to think about. I wish you the best on this next journey! Find foods & "treats" that work for you but make you feel good & don't make you binge. I say go for it & you can always modify if necessary.

    I have read about the Splenda thing for years but I am one that it does not make me want to eat more.. I buck the studies on this one. ;-)

    GO SHERI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It never ceases to amaze me that when I eat crap I feel like crap yet that doesn't deter me the next time!  When I eat well... you guessed it... I feel so much better.  Hope you love the new lifestyle and feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Jody so much for your words and support! I might be calling on you for help as I go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome home Karen!

    I just hope I can do it. Its going to be hard, but I need to find something and to try to be healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I stopped putting Equal in my oatmeal once I discoved PB as an oatmeal mix-in and I can never go back! I also stopped putting it in plain yogurt - I use fruit or have Chobani (not sugar-free, but so satisfying). You ^can ^change your tastes and preferences. Really, I don't use it at all any more since I just put 1/2 + 1/2 in my coffee ....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have found it doesn't take long to change your tastes. My next step is to switch to plain yogurt and that starts tomorrow!

    I am thrilled to know you are doing this as well! So far the only thing bothering me is missing Coke Zero, but I know not to taste it or it will start it all up again.

    Nice to hear from you again Coco!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good amazingly video..
    http://www.herbscity.com/ 

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!