Monday, November 7, 2011

Your Purpose Must Be Clear


“When the time is right to lose weight, it must be your choice. It can't be because of someone else's influence; it must be entirely your idea. Your purpose must be clear to you, your goals set and realistic, your expectations clear, and your focus intense.” 
~ Author Morris Katzoff

Currently I have been asked to join a Wellness committee from work, to start thinking of how we can inspire other employees to exercise and get healthy.

The idea has been brought up to have a weight loss challenge for money and I am totally against this idea. Why am I against losing weight for $$$ or gifts? Because you won't keep it off, that is why.

You have to mentally prepare yourself and be willing to totally give up how you eat today and learn the healthy way if you want to keep off what you lose.

I would like to see more challenges to get people into exercise. To have a company sponsored team for a race either walking, running or cycling. It would be inspiring to others and help others start wanting to get healthy and fit!

I think sometimes its hard for people to realize that this is your choice.  If you want to lose weight, you need to do it for yourself and realize no one else can do it for you.   I know I have said this before, but so many people in the world do not get it.  This journey is YOUR journey no one else, do it for you and you alone. You can do it!
 

Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

9 comments:

  1. I totally believe exercise is the key because of not only the physical benefits but also the emotional and spiritual benefits. Exercise gives you a feeling of wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are saying, but I wonder if those types of programs can teach people some tools that they can use, even if they don't get to their goal weight during the contest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool that they asked you - they see your commitment & RESULTS!!!!

    I guess some sites say people will lose for money but I feel like you, money or a wedding or an event - you still have to keep it off afterward so you need to lose for yourself & your health.

    You got it Sheri! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheri! Totally agree 100% with all you said.

    But I also think that a person does not have to feel totally committed at first. Just a *little* belief that *maybe* it could work for you is good enough with consistent workouts. I found much stronger commitment *after* I had actually proven to myself that good things were happening to me because of my workouts.

    For those people who can't get into working out--just keep trying! Never ever give up on yourself.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being selected for that committee - clearly your commitment has impressed your co-workers! Motivation comes in many different forms. While doing it for yourself is what makes weight loss permanent, wouldn't it be cool if someone who started dieting for dollars realized they loved themselves along the way and kept it up because they enjoyed feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The original saying is:"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!" But I like, "You can lead a horse to water, and sometimes they may be thirsty!"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, congratulations on being asked to be part of such a positive committee. They obviously see how dedicated and motivational you are!

    I agree with you about the money driven competitions. I am witnessing the worst of it in one of friends who is trying to win a gym membership. She recently posted on Facebook that she lost 9.5 pounds in the first 5 days of the challenge. While I know that is impossible to lose 'fat' in that amount of time it only proves (to me at least) that she is willing to do what ever it takes to win...even if it's unhealthy.

    I've also spoken to a co-worker who did the same thing...losing a tremendous amount of weight in a short amount of time for a $100 bet. He has gained it all back plus some.

    While I am not against challenges, I think that they need to be well thought out and the rewards based on a variety of successes. Things like showing up for the most lunch time walks or a salad a day challenge. Good luck with your new role...I know they got the right person for the job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ARE right, Sheri.
    This thing where people get paid for losing weight, does not work. This have to come from oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a contest like that at work that ended early this summer and now I'm not sure the people that did well have kept up any changes. I think focusing on exercise is a good idea -- like a lunch time walking group -- or doing other things to help teach people and make it easy -- revamp the snack machine, offer bowls of whole fruit, etc.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!