Monday, November 14, 2011

Don't Be Afraid To Fail!


Don't be afraid to fail. Don't waste energy trying to cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It's OK to fail. If you're not failing, you're not growing.
H. Stanley Judd

As a overweight person all my life I was use to failure.   I failed every diet I tried, every workout regimen that I started and ended up right back where I was usually even higher in weight. 
 

I was a closet eater. When no one was around I'd go fore bore. If someone were recording me it would have been a terrifying thing to see.  I learned to lie about it too.  For example, when my Mom would come home and ask if I'd been snacking I'd say “no”.  I mean who would want to cook for someone who wasn't hungry right?  Most of the time, I didn't have a problem eating dinner even if I did snack.

As I became an adult and married, that never changed. I would hide my eating from my husband.  When I'd get sad and depressed about my weight I would talk to him about it and he would say “I never see you eat, how can you be overweight?” Oh boy, well I told him I was a secret eater and can't seem to have control over it.

Time passed and things never changed until the light bulb turned on for me.  Now when I do have a binge attack, I tell my husband.  I am open and honest with my girl friends on Group.   I do not lie about it or cover it up.  Its important for others who are trying to lose weight to know the desire to eat never stops, but it can be controlled and you can maintain your weight loss.

I have also learned that when I have days of eating too much, just how far I've come in this journey and I have confidence that I won't fall back to the old Sheri ways.  I no longer lie to myself and say "I'll never do it again" because I know I will.  No, failure does make you stronger and keeps you honest with yourself.
 

Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.
Sourced pictures: (1)

9 comments:

  1. Failure is part of being human. We all have temptations and sometimes we succumb. As is well known it is what you do most of the time that counts. I think you have put forward important points about self acceptance and self love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheri! I've never had that problem. I figure the world knows about how much I eat by my size.

    However...my weight. I hate the number on the scale and I don't tell anybody except a couple friends about that. I think that's mostly because I have teen kids who still like to blurt out the dirt on our family in front of anybody.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Failure can make you stronger in many cases. I did find that when I had day upon day of failure, that it eroded my self-confidence. You make such a good point about using it to get stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Admitting to making mistakes and learning from them is the only way to succeed but there has to be one more step that would help you take another course of action in the future. For me THAT used to be the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post and you are so right. I still hide and eat at times and really it only hurts me and I know better. It's hard to share your downs and opps but with doing so it has made this life style change of mine for the better.
    Thank you for sharing. Have a great and blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great and HONEST post Sheri! Yes, we learn from our mistakes. I saw a show that said successful people in all aspects of life - it is HOW they deal with failure & not the failure itself. I think that is the learning! And you have really come so far! Love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!!! I am such a closet eater, even still! there is such shame attached to it though. I was also a closet drinker. Couldn't hide that though! Everyone knew, I guess thats why my blogging has helped me so much, I made myself a promise to be honest on blog, so far so good

    Love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I do not allow myself to fail I will never grow.

    If I do not admit when I fall no one (including myself) can help me.

    THANK YOU for sharing this great topic.

    Jane~
    Keepingthepoundsoff.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Failures can become successes when we learn from them. Failure is part of being alive! Great post.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!