Monday, November 21, 2011

But I Can't Lose Weight!

“There's no magical way to lose weight. It comes down to physical activity and diet. Take in fewer calories than you burn, and you lose weight. “ The Mayo Clinic


Have you ever heard someone say “I can't lose weight?” I use to be that person and my parents will be able vouch for it. I joined so many programs throughout my life, but I'd always gain my weight back.

I have talked a lot about this throughout my blog life, so I do not intend on rehashing what I have already written about it. You can look back and see those posts.

Today I want to talk about getting you smarter to be able to lose weight. A big part of losing is knowledge. The knowledge of what you are eating and how many calories you are consuming. The rule of thumb is you must burn more than what you eat.

How many calories do you think you burn a day?  I know that if I run 50 minutes for 4 miles, I can burn up to 700 calories, so what about you?  In the grand scheme of things, that isn't that much especially if you put away over 2000 calories in a day. 

Majority people I am around daily like to say "I don't like to exercise" or "I can't exercise".  I also said that too it took me a few years to work up to where I am today, but that is my whole point.  We all have to start somewhere and be consistent.  

If you want to lose weight you have got to change your life! I recommend the starting point of logging everything that goes into your mouth in a place like www.Livestrong.com in the My Daily Plate section. It will be an eye opener for you to realize just how many calories you are eating a day.

Once I lost my weight, I had to know how much I was consuming a day to maintain that weight loss. I logged what I ate here for 2 years consecutively. Now, I do not and that is because I know how to eat to maintain my weight loss.  If I start to gain, then I look at “what” I am eating and how much of it and make that change.

If you really want to lose weight, don't sit on the side lines and just “expect” it to fall off your body because it won't. It takes determination, knowledge, consistencies and motivation to get through it.



Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

5 comments:

  1. I also feel that keeping a food journal is great when you are trying to lose the weight but now that I am maintaining and knowing how much calories each food is, I stopped with logging the food. But this should only be done when one have lost the weight and is confident in the ways you are living now.
    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tell them Sheri! So true! I hear it so much - I can't lose OR I hate exercise or I hate this food or that food. All excuses for the real formula which you outlined. I too feel that people that say that can't lose SHOULD journal their food & their feelings & more. Many don't in my humble opinion cause they don't want to know that they are eating way more calories than they think they are - ignorance is bliss as they say but it will not help one lose weight.

    And yes, you can't out train food so you need both food changes and exercise for long term success! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping a food journal made all the difference in how I have maintained my weight loss since I started the food journal in 2006.

    This was a excellent post. Thank you for keeping the message out there. This does work.

    Jane~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. That phrase, "I just can't lose weight" is just an excuse. It is not easy, but your strategies are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my 20's I put on 3 stone and had to start monitoring through a journal. It made me more aware of my calorie intake and allowed me to make better food decisions. I was also logging my exercise calorie output to help me gradually take off the excess weight I carried.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!