Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm Ready For A Change


The last 2 weeks I have been working really hard on changing up my diet. As you know from my last blog post I was not happy about gaining 10 lbs over the last year and feeling miserable. One of the biggest challenges on maintenance is finding what bests suites you and your needs.

You have to be cautious of what you eat most of the time there is a small place for relaxing and enjoying sweet things once and a while. However, there are consequences in relaxing too much and that is when the tools we use to help guide us on our journey's come into play the dreaded scale going up, or the small sizes you just bought getting too tight.

You have to make a decision what you want most. Is it the sugary foods or a healthy, in shape, fit and thin body?

Well I made that decision back in 2008 when I joined Nutrisystems. The problem is you forget that you have to continue to make those right food choices and fight the good fight eat the right foods. For so long I use to think as long as I eat below a certain calorie that is okay, and it can be whatever I want. Let me save you the time right now....stop lying to yourself that isn't true!!!
Source
Gosh I wish I would have known this 2 ½ years ago when I came off Nutrisystem. Sugar makes you fat, bloated, fatigued and unhealthy period. I don't care if its natural sugar from fruit or low calorie snacks, too much of it will make you gain weight. Have you ever heard of the saying “to much of anything is bad for you?” Its true.

I was consuming anywhere from 250gm or higher of carbohydrates (sugar) a day 2 weeks ago. I know this because I log my food to keep me aware of how much I am eating. When I first found out I was diabetic, the Nutritionist told me to eat less that 165gm of carbohydrates a day to lose weight and to stabilize my blood sugar. That gives you an idea of what I was eating. It wasn't bad food, I don't eat fast food nor do I eat greasy fried foods ever anymore.

My daily menu looked like this:

B: Zone Bar (24g) with a 1\4 cup of Fiber One Cottage Cheese (4g) 1TB. Honey (17gm)
S: Yoplait Lite Yogurt (19g)
L: Lean Cuisine (50g), a vegetable with a Vitatop (21g)
D: Salad or made a stir fry of sorts usually some kind of carbohydrate (20g)
S: Smart Ones Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough desert (sometimes 2) (32g)

Before run:
Power Bar (44g)
During if needed, Gu (45g)

Total grams is 276g of Sugar. Now remind you I am a Type 1 Diabetic. Yes, this doesn't look bad, but I didn't always stick to this eating regimen either some days I ate more some days I ate less. We won't discuss the binging days, I am sure on those days it was way over 400g.

So what have I changed? Everything! I belong to a support group online with a wonderful teacher and leader of fitness for 32 + years or more (hope that is accurate Marcelle) and she's given us a place to come for support and guidance. On group most ladies including our trainer has completed the 17 Day Diet a few times and swears by how good it is. Well after seeing it for myself for 2 months while other ladies did it, I decided to buy the book and read it.

Source

I started almost 2 weeks ago, so my 17 days are almost up for Cycle 1. I am not giving anything away on how much I have lost to date, you will have to wait and hear on a follow up post. However, I will tell you this much I haven't felt this much energy, happiness, less pain in my feet, steady blood sugars and leanness since being on Nutrisystems. The difference a lot LESS SUGAR and I am eating all fresh foods and cooking on my own rather than NS food.

There was a lot of negative talk when this book originally came out and I had my doubts, but trust me when I say its very healthy. I log anywhere from 1200 to 1900 calories a day. Being a diabetic I had to add a few more carbohydrates in my day then what is suggested, I had to for my blood sugars.

If your ready to try something healthy and to help you feel better, check it out. Buy the book and see what you think.  You can get it at a book store or Amazon.com.

Oh, I haven't binged since I started and the first 5 days were the hardest to get the sugar crave out of my system. Now, I have a hard time drinking my diet pop I liked so much once a day.


Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.