Monday, July 11, 2011

Obsessive Compulsive Behavior

Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff

Binge-eating disorder is a serious eating disorder in which you frequently consume unusually large amounts of food. Almost everyone overeats on occasion, such as having seconds or thirds of a holiday meal. But for some people, overeating crosses the line to binge-eating disorder and it becomes a regular occurrence, shrouded in secrecy.

When you have binge-eating disorder, you may be deeply embarrassed about gorging and vow to stop. But you feel such a compulsion that you can't resist the urges and continue binge eating.

Although binge-eating disorder is the most common of all eating disorders, it's still not considered a distinct psychiatric condition. But if you have binge-eating disorder symptoms, treatment can help you.
Source

All my life I thought I was just fat and lazy. I never took the time to consider that I have a obsession with food. I am not sure why exactly, how do you not realize this when all you think about is food?

I remember many times going to bed excited for the next day, so I could eat breakfast or a certain food at lunch. Who does this? I am not a doctor, nor do I blame my food eating on anyone or any thing. However, I do believe in binge-eating disorders, I believe in compulsive disorders just like I do any physical disorder. Our mind is an organ just like our heart or our kidney. There can be a problem somewhere that causes some of us to obsesses over food or other things.

When I began Nutrisystem back in 2008, I did not think I'd fail. I did not think I was going to gain my weight again. What I did think was I am going to overcome this addiction because its going to kill me if I don't.

You do not have to have Type 1 Diabetes like I do to fear your eating behavior will kill you. Food is suppose to nourish us, its suppose to keep our organs healthy and its suppose to keep things flowing normally. We get into trouble when we stop caring what we feed our bodies.

Its like anything else in life, we want to take the easy way out and to some of us cutting up vegetables every day or buying fresh fruit regularly isn't something that we want to bother with, so we just buy fast food or grab this or that for our nourishment and in reality it isn't nourishing at all.

This behavior teaches us its okay not to think about what we eat. Food is not bad, its good for us. We just need to make the change in our minds "flip the switch" if you will.

Source

That is how I've maintained my weight loss for the past 2 1/2 years. I "flipped the switch" I do not want to be that person who was so unhealthy that had to take days off at a time of work for being sick. Nor do I want to be the person that sat on the couch all the time because it was too painful to walk anywhere. Also, I do not want to be the person stuffing my face with food all the while my blood sugar is going up so high which makes me so sick and nauseated that I can't do anything.

No, that isn't me! I believe with help we can control our obsessive binges, my help is God, my help is my husband, my help is Mom and Dad, my help are my weight loss friends I've met online and last but not least my help is ME.

Don't let your disease or diagnosis make you become a slave to it. Take ownership of your health, you only have one chance friends.

Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!