Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Stop Self-Sabotage Now!

Source Not Found
Something I've learned over the last few days is when asked “how fast do you run” my answer is going to be “it doesn't matter.”  What does matter is that I am running, I am making a decision to take care of my body and to be healthy.

I have fallen into the trap of self-sabotaging and negative talk again this time its because I am not a fast runner. Every time my husband asks me how my run is I would immediately down what I did “I only did 12 minute miles” or “I had to stop and walk once or twice”. Why do I say this? Why are my first reactions downing myself because I am a slow runner? His reaction once when I did this was “hon, it doesn't matter just run.” Really?  Life can be that simple?  He is right, of course, that is all I want heck that is all I ever wanted and never in my wildest dreams thought I would be doing it.

I read a fellow blogger's post yesterday from Runner Cookie she talked about “Flow”. She is studying sports psychology and “flow” is defined in her blog...
“Flow is a holistic, intrinsically motivating mental state that people have when they are totally immersed in an activity with energized focus, complete involvement and success in the process of an activity itself.”

I decided this is what I want when I run. I want no worries, no stress about time, I just want to run! That is it! I do not care if I am fast, nor do I care if I have to stop and walk a couple of times.

So, last night I ran and I ran my farthest 5.03 miles and it was delightful! I so enjoy being able to have discipline over my body.

The next time you talk to someone and they start to tell you what exercise they did, but they start out saying “I only did” stop them in their tracks and tell them how great they are for getting out and doing something because that is what matters!

I am really on fire with this right now because I am just so tired of a number encompassing my life. First its the scale, then how far I rode the bike and how fast I ride in an hour and now running. The self-sabotaging has got to stop! Love yourself, love what you have become and be happy with the choices you made for you in this life. We only live once, lets be thankful for the gift that God gave us and that is our bodies.

Do you say negative things about yourself when deep down you know you should be proud of your achievements?


Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

17 comments:

  1. I got a little jealous of the runners who finished the 5k I walked/jogged last week. In the time it took them to finish the whole thing, I had barely completed one mile.

    But I did finish that mile, and the subsequent 2.1 miles after. We can't judge ourselves by others abilities because we are not them. I'm proud I completed the 5k, and all the future races I am going to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post! I want to tap into and live in my "flow" every day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got caught up with this last year....trying to run 5km in 30 mins....on the treadmill ( which is easier than a Trail run )
    I got to the stage where I also went...I HAVE MS AND I CAN RUN...how thankful i am about this...who cares what time you do it in....and how do we know when logging in their time, they are telling the truth anyway....
    I do get excited when I see that I have bettered my time....but never go out and try do that anymore.
    I also want to run....and feel free from time, and all the other things professional runners talk about...the running jargon.
    I am with you on this one...who cares about time....let us run and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lily Fluffbottom Great job Lily! Don't ever give up its achievable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Sheri! What we say to ourselves really effects what we do & say! This is very good timing for me & I am learning as well. You know my feet issues so this has caused me to do less running & slower running when I do it, more other machines but still not up to what I used to do because of my feet probs. When this first started, I lamented in my mind about what I used to be able to do but now, I am getting used to being happy with just being able to do something vs. nothing.

    Great post! Yes, we all have to be proud of ourselves for whatever we do! Better than not doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running is like that to me - flow. I don't worry or stress about things during my run, I zone out completely and just enjoy the run. Yes, my runs is there to de-stress me and it doesn't matter if I run fast or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! I totally needed to read this post! I'm so stressed by the numbers on my scale or on my watch that I forget about the joy in just moving and enjoying life! Thank you for reminding me! :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sarah Kopf So glad I could help Sarah! Its hard to keep focused on the good we need to do it more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheri, you ran further than I've ever run in my life in a row, and I was in track in h.s. My longest amount was 4 miles. That was when I was 14 years old. I am very impressed with you.

    But, does it really matter that I am impressed? Your fitness is about you--and nobody else. There's such a freedom in that idea that lets you break former mindset boundaries. I too am feeling super good--glad to know you are too!

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  10. @affectionforfitness Your absolutely right Marion, it doesn't matter, or at least it shouldn't. That right there is a whole other post! :)

    So glad you feel super good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it's not one number, it's another. Sometimes my Garmin times bum me out. It's hard to get out the mindset of having expections and goals for every run.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! And I'm so glad you could relate to my post on flow. When I find myself feeling burnt out or unmotivated, it usually comes down to me getting too wrapped up in my training plan or how fast I'm running, and forgetting why I really run - to feel good, to escape everything else in the world and just be in the moment, to move and sweat and get that amazing feeling when I'm done. It's really not about comparing myself to other people or hitting a certain time, but I think we all need to be reminded of that once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Corey @ runners cookie Thank you Corey for stopping by! I love your blog and am so happy to have found it!

    I never understood why my husband loved running so much until now. That is the whole point isn't it? Do it cause you love it not for the times and stress that can add. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!