Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Want Chips With That Sandwich?

Source
About two weeks ago I made a decision to cut out all the bad habits I've brought back into my life since losing my weight.
  • No more reaching and grabbing food without it being planned.
  • No more eating sugary foods even if their lower calorie deemed. (Melba Rounds, Hard Pretzels, Baked Potato chips or Cheez-Its)  To sum it up anything that is laying out that is processed sugar
  • No more eating when not hungry
  • No eating hard candy because I am bored
  • No more eating outside of my planned meals (breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and evening snack)

    Source
    I've replaced these foods with 100% whole grain foods like (Shredded Mini Wheats Plain), nuts (1 oz), granola, raisins, fruit and Vitatops.

    I've seen a very bad trend coming back and its completely overtaking me the last few months. I had gained some weight back and started to struggle with the tightness of my clothes. It really started affecting me mentally, so I had to react and make a change somewhere.
    Source

    Working out is meant to help strengthen your heart and body functions, to make you stronger and healthier not to burn off all the extra calories you just devoured in one sitting. It is just wrong in my mind to say to yourself “oh I'll just eat this and work out a little harder”.  Hello!  You aren't working out hard enough if you say this to yourself. Why, because working out hard is HARD work and its not something I am willing to sacrifice just for bad choices in food! No more!

    I remember when I was little my Mom would say “Sheri, you workout so hard and then you eat all that food.” I know Mom, that was nuts wasn't it!?  I've always struggled with this obviously.  I never had an answer nor do I now. I just know I no longer am willing to sacrifice my workouts for gluttony.

    Source
    I work too hard every single day lifting and running to eat these foods. I am eliminating these foods because they make me think about food all the time. They tempt me at work when people bring these things in its like I have to have them! The only time I don't think of not eating them is when I don't eat them for a few days which tells me, I am addicted.

    Some people can eat the 100-calorie packs and be fine, more power to you I say, but if you find your eating 2 bags instead of 1 you better rethink your choices.

    Source

    Today I went to Subway at lunch and I would have gotten the baked Lays potato chips with my 6” inch Turkey sandwich; not today!  It wasn't hard to say no when the question was asked “would you like chips, drink or cookie with that sandwich?” “No mam, I would not” as I smiled ear to ear because a weight has just lifted from my consciousness.

    Do you struggle with certain foods that trigger you wanting to eat all the time? Are you willing to give them up for health and happiness?




    Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

    11 comments:

    1. I am so excited by your post! You are doing all the right things with the right attitude! Way to go Sheri! This is motivating to the max!

      Jane~
      Keepingthepoundsoff.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. @Jane Cartelli Thank you so much Jane! The inspiration of all my blog friends including you have helped me so much!

      ReplyDelete
    3. There's nothing that I must have in my plan anymore, there is nothing I crave......
      I used to be very different...once i ate crisps ( we call it chips ) I could not stop...so now I don't even take that first mouthful as I know I will be in trouble.
      I hardly buy nuts cause they trigger me to want more and more and more...
      My mind is pretty strong when it comes to good or bad foods...

      ReplyDelete
    4. A soft drink is something which triggers me into wanting more of it or food which have sugar in it. So I try not to have them more than once a month. And I so agree with you - people who say that they will work off the bad food - huh uh, then you are not exercising hard enough - I too know how hard I exercise and eating bad food will counter part that which is not something I want to do occasionally.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Sheri - GREAT POST! I love that you are taking control now before the added weight becomes so much that like we now, people get depressed & then they eat more & the catch 22 starts!

      Yes, we are on the same wavelength & a while back I wrote about that slippery slope once a person loses the weight & feels OK with eating this or that & before they know it - the pounds are on. Maintenance is hard & we always have to be diligent but plan for our treats - not eat just because!

      Yahoo Sheri!!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Yes and yes. I have not had bread at home in months and months and months. Just one example of many.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Great post, I've had to cut things out as well. Mostly fried food, which if I do eat it on occasion I have'nt liked it lately so prolly no more of that.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I usually get the drink at subway, but bring the chips to my dh! I just don't want to get started, and I love Subway sandwiches so much that I don't need the chips for a treat!

      ReplyDelete
    9. What a great post this is. Such an important message for everyone - no matter where you are in your weight loss journey.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thanks for these nice and healthy advices; I am going to tell all these tips to my grandfather and my whole family also. Everyone should take good care about their health. Health is everything to human's life. :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. There are some things that are triggers for me...like baked lays and goldfish. I either can't have them in the house or I have to have a battle of the wills to not eat the whole bag. The things I am willing to give up are those that truly are bad for me, fake sugars, reduced fat anything (usually means more sugar added), saturated fats, etc....but I can't say that I will never eat a piece of cheesecake or a few baked lays again...for me, there has to be some kind of balance, but those things are NOT a regular part of my diet (I'm thinking more like once a year).

      ReplyDelete

    If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!