Saturday, April 30, 2011

Eating for Distraction

Source
One thing I never thought of before is I eat for distraction. Why haven't I seen this before today? I just read the blog from Shrink Yourself blog today and when I read it this statement popped out at me.

Source
Now I have to dig deep and try to figure out, why do I eat for distraction? When it hits me the most is at work usually in the afternoon when its almost time to go home. Its not that I am hungry, I just have this empty feeling that food helps distract me.

Why is it I choose food to distract me?  Why not something else like texting a friend or calling someone?  Perhaps its because I know their working as well as I am suppose to be working.  Hmm, this is something I am going to ponder on.

This week I am going to try to come up with some answers. Perhaps you can help me.

Do you eat for distraction? If so, why?



Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

10 comments:

  1. I do. I'm going through a rough time right now...basically I feel like my life is falling apart with finals in 3 days too (something I've not talked much about on the blog. I don't like being a Debbie Downer) and I am constantly, 24 hours a day, fighting the urge to eat just to distract myself. I just have to keep remembering it's not going to solve any of my problems and I'll only feel worse the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat in the afternoon when I am bored....I have to fight with myself not to eat...and most times win!! But saw the day of the wedding, I sat on couch and ate all day...I ate the good things...but over ate that day....1 800 calories where I would normally eat between 1 400 and 1 600 the most..
    If I had someone sitting with me I would never have wanted to eat as much as I did that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always used food for things like distraction, depression, mad, upset, bored - whatever it is. It really took me a long time to get past that. I always knew I did it but I had to find what worked for me to get past it. I have a few different things I do from getting myself distracted with something else like a computer search that may take slow me hours,;-) to talking to myself about how far I have come & no reason to screw it up just because & with something that is not even a 10 on the scale of 1 to 10 for me to & always part of my strategy - wait 10-15 minutes after this feeling comes which gives me time to think thru the why & then the why not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I ate a lot of things to distract me. I was bored. I too need to go, sit and think how to overcome this

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sable I'm so sorry Sable your going through so much stress! Just think its almost over! You can speak truths here anytime. I know what you mean though not wanting to be a downer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Marcelle Well, at least you controlled your calories to a minimum. That is what I use to do, but has become out of control again. Yes, when my husband is out with me I have no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jody - Fit at 53 Good strategies Jody! Thank you for sharing them. I am on the computer all day for work and then in the evenings, so that is out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @blackhuff Ugh, its a curse! If you figure it out, come and tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I eat when I am bored, which is probably the same or similar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Karen@WaistingTime There's got to be away to stop doing this! It can drive a person batty.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!