Monday, March 28, 2011

Things Don't Always Work Out


As you know the doctor agreed with me to try Insulin injections instead of having to wear my Insulin pump recently. Well, its not working out like I'd hope.



In the past when I would try to go without my pump I would have some really bad hyperglycemia days and feel terrible. When I say terrible, I mean terrible nonfunctional, unable to think for yourself and the neuropathy going crazy.



I spent all day of my Sunday this way. I had registered 257 blood sugar after eating Subways and Baked chips. There is no trying to explain to you just how bad you feel when your blood sugar goes so high. If you never experienced it, count yourself extremely lucky.



When my husband came home from his run, I told him what had happened and he said “you do not know how upset I am that this happened”. My comment back was “be glad you don't live it”. Then I thought about it a second if my husband had a deadly disease I would be feeling the same way he is feeling right now.



Medtronics
 The thought of knowing you have no control of your spouses illness has got to be a horrible feeling and I pray I am never faced with that situation. He proceeded to say "I know how much you hate to wear it, but you really need to go back on your pump".  That made me feel defeated that Diabetes has one, but that is the wrong attitude to have because its not true. The insulin pump is just a tool that “I need” to keep my blood sugars under control as well as eating smart. I mean really caring shots and needles around and shooting up every time I eat is no different.  The difference is I don't have to wear them.



It's hard to accept we have to rely on something to live life. I've been challenged in the past and am challenged now. I just have to remember its a tool one that I need to keep my life where it is today. I do not want anything interfering with my workouts and yesterday I was unable to do the weight lifting that I wanted because of it and it made me mad.



So, the pump is back on and the blood sugar is 97 when I woke up this morning. Granted it isn't a solution to solve Diabetes, but it helps keep my blood sugar more than the other.



Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

17 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine what it feels like, had things not improved with you having lost so much weight and being a lot fitter????

    I was told to take MS medication in October....have not gone back as I feel good....and am being positive that it will continue this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne Lonergan GradyMarch 28, 2011 at 7:25 AM

    Sheri, more people than you know rely on "unnatural" things in their day to day life... be it glasses, a defribulator, a pump, a glass eye, a prosthetic, medicines or a cane (i could go on and on.). While I do understand your frustration, I have always looked at it as how lucky I am that these things are available... I will live longer and more productively because of them. You are one lucky lady... look how far you have become because of your determination and having the pump... think of the people you influence... you are amazing and that pump helps you be that way... YIPPEE! Try hard to adopt that old attitude of gratitude... you have much to be thankful for! Who knows what the future will hold.... maybe even a cure for diabetes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I'm so sorry that you're feeling frustrated by this. Type 1 runs in my family and I'm lucky to not have to deal with it personally.

    I hate to minimize it, but try and think of it like glasses. People who can't wear contacts are debilitated without their glasses. They have to wear them to see. There's just no getting around it.

    I hope you can learn to accept you are just as fabulous with pump!! It's just another necessary accessory that helps make you the best you can be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While reading through your post, the very thought of what you mention in your second last paragraph, popped into my head.
    I know that the pump is not something that you want to wear but if you have to, to exercise, then you must (I would have).
    Sorry to read that you need to wear that pump that you so despise. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Marcelle Oh yes Marcelle its totally improved! I was just hoping I could stick with shots rather than the pump and after yesterday I now know I can not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Marianne Lonergan Grady You always know how to make me look on the brighter side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @The Evolution of C. You are correct Cole, its a lot like that I just have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @blackhuff I would much rather wear the pump then go through another day like yesterday. I am still feeling the residual effects of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry it didn't work out Sheri, but I am glad that you're safe and more "carefree" with the pump. One of my very best friends is young and diabetic, so I know all-too-well about the struggle of shots versus pump. Hang in there!

    Sarah
    TheWeatheredWord.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Sarah Kopf Thank you Sarah!!! I am sorry to hear about your BF. I hope she is taking good care of herself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs Sheri! You still amaze me & do what you have to do to be healthy & safe & all else will fall into place.. it will & I know you will figure it out! You are STRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom's husband is diabetic. He does insulin injections. I asked my mom once if she could handle an emergency with that if she needed to and was surprised she said no.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry it didn't work out, Sheri. <> I know what you mean about a spouse having something that you cannot control. You just want to take it away for them...just for a little bit anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Calling it a tool for your daily functioning is a great way to keep it in perspective. I can only imagine the frustration your are feeling :-) The great thing is that you have a solution, maybe it's not your #1 choice but it is a solution. You have overcome so much in the last couple of years this is a small hurdle which I have faith you can jump over and continue being successful. Keep smiling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked how you look at it as a "tool", also. I had to come to terms with needing a powerchair the same way. Due to the damage to my joints from years of too much weight, and the affect of lupus on joints and connective tissue, my knees are gone.

    I get frustrated needing the chair...yet most of the time am grateful for it. I was practically housebound for 15 years til I got it, so it made a huge difference. Like you said, they are not cures, but useful tools.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sheri, it sounds like you had quite the epiphany with this situation. While I'm sorry it didn't work out, sharing daily struggles like this makes people realize they can live a healthy life no matter what challenges they face. I'm so glad you have the love and support of your sweet husband too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sheri, I play basketball with a lady that wears a pump, she plays soccer too! She an outstanding athlete, Wear your pump and enjoy the freedom it gives you to live and breathe and do the things you love!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!