Sunday, February 20, 2011

Its The Best Day Ever!



My husband and I have a daily saying for our dog Mick and that is “its the best day ever!” What spawned this saying is every day this dog (every dog) wakes up and is happy. They are happy to be with their Mommy and Daddy, they are happy to be taken to to the park, they are happy to run with you and to chase ducks or birds depending the breed of your dog.

The air was crisp and cool, you could see the air on my breath for my Saturday morning run and Mick's. I decided to take him with me to help keep my mind occupied rather than how much my lungs are burning.

This was my first interval training day for those who are not sure what that is I went to WikiPedia for a good definition:
Interval training is a type of physical training that involves bursts of high intensity work. This high intensity work is alternated with periods of rest or low activity, the eponymous intervals.
The term can refer to any cardiovascular workout (e.g. cycling, running, rowing, etc.) that involves brief bouts at near-maximum exertion interspersed with periods of lower-intensity activity.
Interval training is often practiced by long distance runners (800 meters and above). Sprinters and footballers have also been known to use this type of training.
Distance runners often practice interval training on tracks, running hard at a certain pace for a specified distance (or, less often, time) and jogging, walking, or resting for a set distance or time before the next speed burst. Distances can also vary; one example would be a "ladder" workout consisting of a 1600-meter, two 1200-meter, three 800-meter, and four 400-meter repetitions, each at an appropriate speed and with an appropriate amount of recovery.

I had to stop and walk a little bit, but that was okay that is the best way to train starting out. The neat thing is I ran the same distance as I always do 3.1, but only a few seconds behind my best time 33:16. That means even though I walked some and Mick had to poop once, so I almost beat my best time!  I was so happy!  As you will see according to my watch I had a very high max heart rate. I set it to start beeping at 167 BPM, but I couldn't hear it over my heavy breathing.




After my run, I came in had a glass of water and decided to lift weights. I had taken a week off from lifting last week due to my tendinitis in my right elbow really was flared up. It felt great today!

I also decided to keep my heart rate monitor on during my weight lifting just to see out of curiosity what does my heart do during lifting. Well, to my surprise it got up to 143 BPM when standing as I was doing lifts. Wow, that is great! I continued burning calories even after my run!

About 2 months ago, I came across a blog and her name was April.  She said something that clicked that night I read her blog and it was "Heavy weight lifting is the best".  I sat there and looked at her picture and I said "why don't I look like that after all this lifting?"  Well, the answer was I wasn't lifting heavy!

It was always a wives tale that woman would look like a man if they lifted with heavy weight.  I fell into that trap and I am so glad I am out of it!  The more I read the more I understand that our bodies will not allow us to get beyond what were genetically designed to be.  Now if you want to be a body builder, it will take a lot more than lifting heavy weights 40 minutes 3 x a week!

Because I was feeling so positive and pumped up after my workout, I thought it was time to take a picture of my arms to see where I am at after 2 months.  I am pretty proud of the way they look especially since I use to hate my arms even when I was young.  I noticed how the fat would hang off them and jiggle.  Little did I know all it took was weight lifting (and of course eating right).


....No more jiggling here my friend!  WOOHOO!

To complete my "best day ever" my dear friend bought me a 1-hour Massage for Christmas this year and I decided to use it today. I went not long after my workout and oh did it feel fantastic!! I am not near as sore as I usually am after running or lifting. I am going to try to add this in to a monthly routine.

While I was there and it was a salon, I decided to get my nails painted, use the new “Shellac” that is now out for real nails. It is color suppose to last up to 2 to 3 weeks, so I got a french manicure. I love it! I miss having my pretty long fake nails, so maybe this will help.

I am telling you all this because I want you to understand how important exercise is and what it does to a persons confidence and happiness. The old Sheri would have never gone out and enjoyed such a beautiful day of fitness and pleasure because I have to go into the Office tonight and work at 7:30 PM and who knows when I'll be able to get home. Nope, not even that didn't put a damper on my Saturday. So, I can definitely say “today is the best day ever!”

What about you? Was today your “best day ever”? If so, what made it great and if not what can you do to make tomorrow great?



Excerpts from The Motivational Girl are protected by copyright and used here by permission of The Motivational Girl, 2011.

14 comments:

  1. I love interval training and my polar watch. I keep it on during cardio and weight training. I like to see how many calories I burn at the gym. Your arms look amazing! You have just inspired me. I have never liked my arms either and don't like doing upper body weight lifting. I am partial to legs because I consider my legs one of my best features. :-) Sounds like you had a super day, I hope your week is just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice biceps! Good luck with your efforts

    I try to make every day my best. Seeing my clients achieve so much on a daily basis makes me content!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on incorporating intervals into your runs. I love/hate them...they certainly make my runs more 'exciting' and they seem to go by faster...but they also kick my butt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rachael WOOHOO!!! Thanks Rachael! I use to never lift until I lost my weight, and as my arms started developing I wanted more definition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @The Learning Curves Blogger Thanks Lynn! Intervals are definitely a mindset kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock Sheri!!! Keep that MOTIVATION going!:-)

    I have been reading April for quite a while now... the only caveat I make is that some people can get big with heavy weights. I got very big with them when I was younger. I don't have to worry so much now with my age but up till about the early 40's, I could still grow pretty big with heavy weights - bigger than I wanted so I had to cut back on the weights to about moderate & some body parts that grew fast, I did a lot of drop setting... just the way my bod worked/works.

    BUT, if you want muscle, you have to stop with the little 3-5 pound weights for sure - challenge yourself & you do Sheri! :-)

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jody - Fit at 53 Thanks Jody!!! I appreciate your feedback. As I am just learning the ins and outs of weight lifting. No 3-5 pounds weight for this girl no more! WOOT WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: Forgot to say your bicep flex was way too cool!!!! YOU GO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jody - Fit at 53 Thank you so much Jody!!! Coming from you that is a HUGE compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Glad you haven't challenged me to arm wrestle! I hate losing :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!