Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years is over . . Now what?


Well its a new year and I don't feel any different than in 2010. Have you ever noticed people build up a particular day over and over again and when it actually happens you say “that's it”? That is how I felt about new years day.

I did nothing except walk my dog slowly 1 ½ miles, trying to recover from my knee injury last week so I'm taking it easy. I tried my hand at Zumba, but there were too many moves in the “easy steps” that I got discouraged. I tried doing the actual workout, but gave up. I don't know if it was due to my knee or I just didn't like it.

Okay now back to building up a particular event in your mind. I did this same thing in regards to my weight loss, I built it up to be this dramatic thing where everything will be perfect once it happens. The dreaming of the new me in new and smaller clothes, and how it will solve all life problems when in actuality I felt the same. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that I lost all that weight and got my Diabetes under control! I think it can be dangerous for us to work ourselves up in our minds about a certain thing and when it happens it is a let down and all of the sudden we are struggling to keep motivated.

Yes, its a struggle to keep your weight off, that is why I am here blogging. It helps me to write down my thoughts and struggles and to hear comments back. I gain strength and motivation in other people's stories.

So, take it easy and remember its just another day be excited about it, but don't set yourself up for a let down mentally.

Have you ever found yourself dreaming of a particular day and when it comes you are disappointed?

5 comments:

  1. I think this speaks loudly to the fact that sometimes, anticipation is more exciting than an actual event. When we build something up in our minds so much and for so long ahead of time, we're bound to feel disappointment.

    It highlights the fact that focusing on living in the present moment is a better approach. Sure, we have to plan for the future. But we're living here, right now, today. We'll find we enjoy those momentous days even more if we live each moment fully leading up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Sheri.... no, losing the weight or even staying fit & muscular like I have tried to do does not make everything wonderful & dandy. We do have a way of setting ourselves up for wonderful things when we lose weight. The important point really is to just be healthier & live a better life.... not burdened by disease... if you get more than that, icing on the cake!

    Hope that knee is better! I thought it was your back? Mine is as close to 100% healed as it can be.. was that at about 2 weeks.... whew! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jody - Fit at 53 It was my back, but last Sunday I hurt my knee running. Always something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the queen of over building expectations and then wonder why they crash and burn... :)

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!