Friday, January 28, 2011

Lifestyle Change

What does it mean to you when you hear these words? A lifestyle change with exercise is the only way to lose weight.

Before I found the true meaning of these words “lifestyle change”, I scoffed at the comment. Because I didn't understand what that really entailed. I wanted to hear a real answer, what I didn't realize back then it was the answer.  


I was weighing in at 250 pounds about this time in this picture, not a proud moment.  However, to get my point across I felt it was perfect to illustrate eating Skyline Chili wasn't the answer.

Here's a few things changing your lifestyle does not mean:
  • Starving yourself
  • Skipping meals
  • You can't eat a certain food for the rest of your life
  • Have to eat fruits and vegetables all day long
  • Eating less than 1200 calories a day
  • Eating huge salads and drenching it with dressing including the "lite" or "fat free" versions
  • Working out and then eating what you want
The list can go on, but its getting late.  



What lifestyle change does mean:
  • Accept that you do not know what you are truly putting into your body.
  • Accept that how you have done it in the past didn't work.
  • Eating 6 small meals a day is better than 1 big one.
  • Log what you eat so you know what your putting into your body.
  • Begin to exercise, start out small and your body will change and you will begin to love it.
  • Measure your food
  • Eat a lot of vegetables with your lunch and dinner
  • Eat fruit as a natural sugar snack like a Honey Crisp Apple, their delicious!
  • Stop going out to lunch everyday once in a while is fine.
  • Pack your lunch or go home to eat
  • No more eating whatever you want and become accountable for what you do eat
  • No more fast food, it is a quick trip back down the path to overweight world
  • Park farther away from the door, so you get more exercise
  • Drink water or tea, no more sugary drinks.
Behavior change produces a new you which leads to a lean, mean, healthy and fit body. I never knew the secret until I went on Nutrisystem and learned that I was eating like a pig. I had no idea what portion control meant, although I “thought” I did.

If you aren't willing to change your lifestyle, you will not be able to lose weight or maintain that weight loss.

I've said it before, you've got to want more than anything to lose your weight and be willing to give up your bad eating habits see an older post on Retraining Your Thinking

You don't have to ever go without eating a piece of chocolate cake, but I guarantee when you work as hard as I have you choose wisely before shoving stuff in your mouth. Sometimes I binge and I hate that more than anything, but its part of my world and I deal with it. The key is to get back on my new road to health and fitness and not look back.

What are your thoughts about “lifestyle change”?

18 comments:

  1. It took me many, many years of yo-yo dieting to get to the whole "lifestyle" paradigm. In the past I went on a diet and went off a diet. No wonder I kept regaining weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I went on a binge. I was soooooo tired after... and what it did to my body... I will not beat myself up, but it even makes me want to work that much harder at reaching my goal. The next time I am triggered to reach for something unhealthy, this experience is definitely going to remind me, is it really worth it? I know the answer! I am going to start reading a book, Woman, God & Food.. Quick read, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Karen I hear you Deb, I was the same way for so long. I am so grateful for finally "getting it".

    ReplyDelete
  4. @DebsMyName Good to hear from you Deb! I have done that many a times and my blood sugar would get so high and I'd be miserable with guilt. Just wipe off the dust from your feet and move on.

    Let me know what you think about that book, I wasn't a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Real transformations require an "AHA" moment... it is work but it is work you WANT to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog. I love this post. It has so much truth in it. I completely agree with retraining your thinking but sometimes it is easier said than done. I also like your idea of not punishing yourself for the small stuff, just pick up and move forward. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. Thanks for the reminding me that it is a lifestyle change and not something short term. I didn't get this way overnight I will not change overnight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rachael Thanks for stopping by Rachel! Your right its a lot easier to say, but its do able because I did it.

    Its been 2 years in February since I lost my weight the good new is you do change and you adapt to it. I would never go back, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post with a lot of truths. One of the things I dread hearing from "dieters" is that they can't wait to reach their goal weight so that they can go back to eating and drinking the foods they gave up. I'd like to think that they mean they will be better equipped to have just a few french fries once in a while or a small scoop of ice cream during a special occasion rather eating large quantities all the time. But I fear that a lot people think that once they lose weight they can magically maintain and go back to their unhealthy lifestyle. Hopefully, they will learn (like I did) through the course of their weight-loss journey that it HAS turned into a life style which affords many more life pleasures, not just food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @The Learning Curves Blogger Thanks Lynn! You and me alike, I hate hearing people give up while their in the middle of trying to lose weight. Its a brain thing we think once we lose we will always be thin and that is not true if you don't keep that change you made.

    Great job on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could not have said it better myself Sheri! FANTASTIC POST!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I hear "Lifestyle change", I immediately think about a change in your life overall. Not just with food but what goes with that like emotions.
    I like this blog post especially what lifestyle does not mean. Many people actually think that, that paragraph is what lifestyle change is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @blackhuff Your right its an overall change not just food. For me I had to hit rock bottom before realizing what I needed to do and accepted it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is really true. You can't lost weight if you keep on eating what you want. A good diet and workout are perfect for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely right: Exercise is the best way for weight loss. Thanks for sharing this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Calotren Thanks sharing your thoughts and reading my blog!!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!