Sunday, December 12, 2010

Food Is Not Our Friend

Food is wonderful! In fact, food is my best friend, but lately I'm aware that my friend is hurting me, making me uncomfortable, sabotaging my goals, causing me grief and guilt, possibly destroying my life. Today I made a decision—it's time to get a new friend. ~Linda Spangle, RN, MA “Life is Hard Food is Easy”
I never thought of it this way before, but its so true! Food has always been there for me whether in the loss of someone, loss of a friend, arguments, sadness, happiness you name it. The problem is I have given food power over me.

When I am bored and have nothing better to do or I am anxious about something I want to eat. I find in the afternoons while I work if I'm frustrated about something I start grabbing my sugar-free gum or candy like mad. Yes, that is okay to an extent, but when I get home watch out! I have to be very cautious not to grab food for no reason.

Food should only serve one purpose in our lives, and that is nutrition for our bodies. It becomes dangerous when we allow it to go farther. I can ruin a perfectly good food day in less then 5 minutes.

At work this time of year there are bake sales for donations, chili cook offs, pie selling oh my goodness Vendors sending in chocolate treats to our department. It's a food fest there! This is the first year I've struggled on each day I pass those delicious treats and I've grabbed for the cookies without thinking about it first. Linda Spangle is a terrific weight management counselor, I've read her book “100 Days of Weight Loss” and it helps me each time. She said in there something I'll never forget and I use to adhere too “just because its there, doesn't mean you have to eat it”.

Food is not my friend, food causes me sadness when I give in and eat it for no reason at all. I'm ashamed in myself for falling this year. However, I'm not going to give in and allow it to destroy all the hard work I've put in the last 2 years. 

Every day is a challenge, its a matter of conscious effort making the decision to eat and being accountable. Don't find yourself giving in to food eating on the whim, don't let food be your friend...find a real friend that truly cares about you one that shares in your love with food so you have someone to talk too. I've met so many people during my weight loss and I can honestly say they've helped me out of some sticky situations.

~The Motivational Girl~

9 comments:

  1. That is a motto of mine.. just because it is there, ya don't have to eat it. Many people go into these parties this time of year & assume they are going to eat it & have to eat it because somebody made it... I just don't fly by those rules. I do what is right for me. After a while, people just get used to you doing it! Maybe you will rub ff on somebody else!!! :-)

    In fact, this is a rule of mine all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...I have given food power over me." I have a whole long post planned about this someday. I have given food MY power. How and when that happened, I don't know. And I agree, it is sooo not my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle to figure out when I'm really hungry, and when I just want to eat- and throw in trying to put on muscle- that equals a confusing situation! But I will get there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words - just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to eat it. Will keep that in mind during the current round of holiday parties. Thanks for sharing your story of dealing with diabetes and getting healthier, and also for stopping by my blog recently. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @april I do too April! That's a huge struggle of mine.

    Reading your website yesterday inspired me to start lifting again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Once, I heard that unhealthy food is like a "bad boy" that treats you like crap and then dumps you. That would go with your thought that "food is not your friend." ;-) Marion

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!