Saturday, March 20, 2010

Why Do Diets Fail?

Have you ever wondered why you stopped trying to lose weight? Have you ever said to yourself “it's just to hard, I can't do it?” I have and I've played the Yo-Yo game with my weight all my life.

Growing up I use to try every fad diet with my Mom. We'd eat this cabbage soup for 1 week, lose 8 to 10 pounds and gain it right back once we started eating again. Same with every diet I've ever been on actually always a bit heavier than before I started.

What I never thought of before is the future. I never understood that once I lost my weight I'd have to continue eating the same way to keep it off. I always lived in the here and now can't wait to get it off attitude, so I can eat those fries again someday.

Your diet plan will fail if you think you will be able to eat the way you once did. That is what got you overweight to begin with why would you ever want to go back to that way of life? Well, I could tell you one reason, it is easy to eat mindlessly every day and not hold yourself accountable for what you put into your mouth every single time. Its so easy to not go to the gym after work and just sit on the couch every night.

It takes a conscious effort to lose weight and to keep it off. Its probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my entire life, but ask me is it worth it. YES IT IS! To be able to look in the mirror and see yourself for the first time in your life is a beautiful, energetic and a psychological experience. To be able to walk around proud of yourself, head held high and chest out trying to show everyone you have achieved your goal every single day and it never gets old. To be able to know you have lessened the risk of heart attack, diabetes, blindness and/or high blood pressure makes you proud of yourself.

Once you have decided this is what you want and nothing is going to stop you, nothing will. Depending on the Diet Plan you choose listened to it, experience the journey that it takes you on, learn from it. The hardest part is Maintenance because once the excitement is over with you are wondering to yourself “now what?” Well, you made it and now you need to keep it there and that is where you journey experiences come in and you start living them on a daily basis.

It is possible, I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off for 14 months. I have no intentions on going backwards and I will continue to do all the things that got me here in the first place. I don't believe in false delusions I know the facts, if I eat more than I burn I gain weight. If I don't know how much I'm eating on a day by day basis, I'll gain weight. If I don't measure, I'll gain weight and if I don't exercise it will be tough to stay at the lower weight.

Learn the truth while your experiencing your weight loss journey, don't hide from it and certainly do not lie to yourself and think you can go back because you can't.

~The Motivational Girl~

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get my replies to you, please click on the "subscribe by email". Thanks for leaving a comment!